Tuesday 3 February 2009

This weeks tales . . .




Hello Everyone! I had my first full week of classes last week and well its good so far. Nothing too extreme but only have three days of classes has really freed up my week which I love. Oh I should mention my Greek class. Its only Americans in my class and its a good thing. Its going to be so hard because first you have to learn the alphabet and the sounds and then learn the vocab and grammar. Its been fun so far but we'll see how it goes.



Tuesday night we went out to a jazz club for some drinks and dessert and it was great. We just mingled with some other GLS kids and Martin is back so we didn't need to take a cab which is great because it all really adds up.




Wednesday I had two more classes but stayed in at night because I was getting a bit sick and I have alot of classes on Thursday. After my full day of classes, we all headed out to start off the weekend. Friday was a lazy day that was concluded with a game of Kings with the roomies and out to Bling which has become the place to be on Friday nights.





On Saturday, we went and did a little shopping and then decided to have an American dinner at Bennigan's which is only 10-15 minutes walk away. Well, my dinner was delicious but Kel, Kel, and Lauren had burgers which they said were the most awful thing ever. So no more burgers at Bennigan's. We ended our meal with probably the best milkshakes ever and enjoyed a game of futbol ; )


Lata, Me, Kel, and Dana went to a club (again : )) but we got in for free because well we had our names on a list ; ) That was really a milestone for me. Its a good thing we didn't have to pay either because we were completely ripped off by our cab driver who was sitting at a green light but o well. He gave us his card and we will be sure not to call him again. I also got a free t-shirt which was saweet. Saturday = good night.

Sunday, we all decided to venture around our neighborhood a bit and found the perfect tanning spot on the roof of apartment building across the street where some of the other Americans live. The four of us walked for awhile with Dana and Jake (GLS boys)and ended up on this ridge where I had gone on my bicycle adventure and we watched the sun set. bitchin'.





Then, being Superbowl Sunday n all, Kelley and I decided to order ourselves some fried chicken from a place called SFC (Southern Fried Chicken). It was pretty good besides the fact that the delivery boy got lost and didn't have change and didn't speak very good English. It was an adventure all in itself.


The Superbowl didn't start here until 1:30 am so we had alot of time to kill before the game started. So we played Bullshit with Martin and Anwar which was very entertaining.




For the game we went to the local bar we went to the first night we got here because he had promised to have the game on. I was surprised that more Americans didn't come to watch the game but I guess the program is filled with girls so what can you expect. It was very strange to watch the game with mostly girls and the few guys that we there were not very into it. There was however a large group of Asians who came to see the game but were pretty sure they didn't know what was going on. Kelley and I stayed for the whole game ever though most everyone left at halftime. By the end, I was pretty much the only person routing against the Steelers left which helped the win to sting more. It was almost 5:30 when it was over and I had a big day of adventuring tomorrow!

Since I do not have classes on Mondays, it has been officially declared as my mini-adventure day! Dana didn't have class either so we decided we would walk to the old city and cross into the Turkish side. I was very unsure of what to expect. We also didn't really know how to get to the city so were definately shooting in the dark. We started walking in the assumed direction until we were unsure. Dana asked a guy which direction the city was in and he said he was headed there himself and we could just follow behind him. His name was Radwan and he was a welder from Paphos. He took us to the Greek side of the city and pointed us in the right direction from there. We grabbed some ice cream and then went across the border. It more or less just a little check point that doesn't even require you to go inside. It was pretty basic, all you need is your passport. They stamped a little piece of paper and we were in.


We wandered for a while and then decided to sit and eat. Not feeling very food adventurous, I opted not eat. Dana ordered some question mark lunch and disgusting yogurt drink. I tried it thinking how bad can it be but it was awful. There was a checkerboard in the bush next to our table so we played a game. Meanwhile a kitty came over and Dana fed it some fries. I thought what a nice kitty cuz all of the otherones we'd met so far had been friendly. But boy was I wrong. It scratched me and made me bleed. Bad kitty!



After lunch we wondered for a few more hours. All the people were extremely friendly and some store owners gave us their email and offered to cook us lunch or dinner. Only if the cats were as nice as the people.


It definately felt strange because it was very obvious that the Turks don't belong in the city and I can very easily see why many Greeks don't ever go over. As a matter of fact, Martin, who has lived in Cyprus for ten years has never been across the Green Line but he's planning on going with us on Friday!



The city is just generally more rundown on the Turkish side but it was definately interesting to see. A little after 4, we decided to catch a cab home but the driver said it would be ten euros so we thought we would walk instead. One problem, we had no idea how to get home, just once again, a general direction. We just started walking and kept walking for a really long time. We ended up back here sometime around 6. I don't know how but somehow we got back. My feet hurt but it was a good day and the weather was beautiful!


Martin made us all dinner which was good even though we didn't eat until 11:30.

Good day.

Well its sunny outside again today so we are going to head to the roof!


Rumor is, its the warmest day so far!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment